Saturday 25 July 2015

A Painting of Hope

Life has been busy over the past few weeks.  We had some special friends come and visit from Toronto.  It was so great to get caught up and enjoy each other's company.  We've also been celebrating birthdays.  Our youngest daughter and Darryl's birthdays are just 2 days apart (July 18 & 20), so we celebrated them last weekend.  My family and Darryl's family came over to help us celebrate.  It was nice to have family around.  I floated in and out of the celebrations.  I struggled with a lot of hip pain all weekend, so amongst the celebrating was lots of drugs and sleep to help cope.

This past week, I left my house for the first time since coming home from the hospital.  I went to a friend's house just 3 minutes from home.  A group of friends got together to talk, laugh and eat.  It was nice to take a little break from my usual surroundings.  This group of friends gave me an amazing gift that night.....it was a beautiful painting of pink flowers (my favourite).  It was created by a local artist who I have grown to love and admire.  At the top of the painting were the words "Melanie You Are..."  then each friend at this get together gave a word or phrase to describe me.  It is beautiful on so many levels....it's beautiful to look at, it's beautiful to read and warms my heart, and it's beautiful for my soul to know I have friends that care so deeply for me.  Darryl hung the painting next to my hospital bed, so it's the first thing I see when I wake up.  When the pain won't ease, when the drugs are clouding my mind, or when I'm too tired to get out of bed this painting has become a reminder of hope for me.  Thank you to those who contributed.  I feel very lucky to have friends who are willing to share their feelings about me.  We so seldom offer these insights to each other, even though it's so encouraging.  My challenge to you today is to tell someone who you love what they mean to you and why you value them.....it has the power to change them and you.


1 comment:

  1. Hope keeps our soul anchored and the Lord delights in those who's Hope is in Him!
    Continued prayers for your pain relief and for you and your family as you travel this valley together.


    Psalm 147:11 the Lord delights in those who fear him,
    who put their hope in his unfailing love.



    Hebrews 6:19 We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain,

    ReplyDelete